Monday, May 5, 2008

Language heads or something else?

I've been thinking a lot about my own personal language learning lately and wondering if I really have the stuff to learn languages. I have been tinkering with the Finnish language now for about seven years and have barely made a dent. Most native Finnish speakers change to English if they can--that is how bad I am at the language. What makes a person learn five languages when I can barely learn one? Is it motivation, determination, discipline or do these people just have a language head? I've been meeting so many live online language teachers lately who all teach other languages and I am intrigued--can I learn Finnish and then go onto another language? I know I am intelligent, but what is it that these successful language learners have done? What is there secret? I want to jump onto their band-wagon, but can I?

No comments: