Friday, June 26, 2009

Who would you like to have a learning conversation with?

Today, LANCELOT School had another really good Virtual Round Table on Demand. The idea for these virtual round tables is to invite famous authors, teachers or professors into a virtual classroom and to have a learning conversation with him/her. We started with Noam Chomsky back in February and then Scott Thornbury later in the spring. When I was asked who my favorite textbook author was it was a no-brainer: Vicki Hollett. We found her quite easily thanks to web 2.0 and Linked-in. I had the privilege of inviting people to this event and also talking to Vicki before the event--it was a great honor. I've now become a fan of her blog, which is something I totally identify with--she is British and living in the states and comparing the language. Her blog is called Learning to speak 'merican and I think it is one of my favorite blogs so far. Anyway, today we had a Virtual Round Table for teachers who teach Aviation English. I've been involved in English for Specific Purposes (ESP) for quite a while and this is one area I have never taught. I went because I was helping with the audio and found it fascinating anyway. Personally, I'm looking forward to more Virtual Round Table on Demands. I've put in another request for an author. How about you? Who would you like to have a learning conversation with? There is a forum discussion on the ning site that you can put in your request.

1 comment:

Heike Philp said...

Hi Holly,

Yes, this was a tremendous thrill to meet Henry Emery, author of the book Aviation English.

When Violeta and I talked and I asked her whom she would like to meet then she mentioned this book she is using in class and that this book is such a fantastic tool.

When Henry agreed to the conversation she was over the moon but faced a tough challenge. With very few Aviation English teachers, how could she invite enough people to make it worth Henry's while?

And then a fascinating journey started for her which lead to her joining several yahoo groups with aviation English teachers (the link was provided by Henry himself) and receiving lists of people in the industry, she approached organisations, sent out emails and did her utmost to network.

This was so wonderful to see and I am so grateful to Henry that he made this possible.

It was a thrill.